More Milestones for the ABC
“God seems nearer to a people when he speaks their language.”
–Augustine of Hippo
On November 18, 2007, in Dar Es Salaam, WordAlive Publishers officially announced the launch of the Africa Bible Commentary Kiswahili, in the Tanzanian market. This celebration marks the first of many translations for the first-ever single volume Bible commentary written by Africans, for Africans. It also marks the beginning of many milestones recently achieved on the ABC project:
1. ABC was written by African theologians for African pastors as a commentary on the whole Bible adding dozens of relevant articles on issues specific to the church in Africa. This volume will enter in Kiswahili a market of more than 50 million Swahili natives that has comparatively nothing for pastors in their language.
2. Langham Literature is funding the Kiswahili translation and production with USD $130,000 over three fiscal years (WordAlive publishers in Nairobi are managing the project and will cover printing and distribution). The final published work is due out in late 2009.
3. Langham with Serving In Mission (SIM) are sharing sponsorship of the ABC translation into Portuguese (total Langham commitment of USD $64,000 over two fiscal years) for Portuguese-speaking Africa plus Brazil, Portugal, etc. The project is underway and being managed by MundoCristao in Sao Paulo, Brazil, to be distributed in Africa by Langham and partners beginning 2010.
4. ABC English provides Western pastors and students of the Bible with unique and helpful reading on Scripture and issues in the church from an African perspective. The book has won honors in the Western publishing trade and its production was managed by Langham Literature International Director Pieter Kwant.
5. As of December 2007, the following translations for the Kiswahili edition have been completed:
- All 70 Articles
Reviewers will begin looking at edited work in April 2008.
Read more about the launch of the Kiswahili edition of the Africa Bible Commentary